Monday, October 7, 2013

What have I been eating lately?

I try to remember to take a picture of my food - just to be aware of what I'm eating and to remember when I have an especially good meal that I want to duplicate.  Plus, I just like food.  Did I mention that before? hehe!
Chicken and Vegetable soup (the cauliflower looked like dumplings LOL)
 One day Marco and I met for lunch before he had to return to work.
We decided to go have Ono Hawaiian BBQ. We skipped the rice (waaaahhh) and 
macaroni salad.  We just got the grilled meat and steamed veggies. Yum!
 This is an example of what I take for work.
Coconut Milk, frozen banana and Almond Butter Smoothie for breakfast.
Leftovers for lunch (was beef stew on this day)
Fruit and lots of water
Coffee too usually
 Baked spaghetti squash with chicken parmesan 
 Taco salad - no rice, beans or tortilla shells
 Saturday breakfast: eggs, bacon and sausage patties.  Coffee
 Sauteed garlic shrimp
 Chicken tenderloins (butter/garlic)
 Super veggie mix.  Brussel sprouts, zucchini, grape tomatoes and bacon ends
fresh green salad 

I try to be careful with eating too much fruit that may have lots of sugar (like my grapes) or too many nuts like almonds (omega 6), or too much dairy (like cheese) or hidden sugars in sauces (like the Ono) - since I am working on weight loss as well as transitioning into a primal lifestyle.  
But I also realize that I have to do what I can do right now.  I need to have flavor, I need to have variation and I need to be able to fix it quite easily or affordably.

I've had a request for the Super Veggie Mix recipe and it's very simple.
INGREDIENTS: 
Fresh brussel sprouts - washed, trimmed and quartered
Bacon ends - cooked thoroughly and drained (save grease)
Fresh zucchini - washed and cut into bite sized pieces
Grape tomatoes - washed
Italian seasoning and fresh minced garlic
DIRECTIONS:
Basically, I fried up my bacon ends in my cast iron skillet.  I let it get really crispy.
Then I removed the bacon and drained the fat into a jar.
I added the brussel sprouts directly to the pan and started to let them roast.
I added about a teaspoon of bacon grease to the brussel sprouts about 3 times.
I continued to let them roast and moved them around several times for about 15 minutes.
I then added the zucchini and this is when I also added the garlic and Italian seasoning (to taste)
Then, I added the tomatoes and added the bacon back to the mix.  You can add any kind of
seasoning you prefer.  I didn't need to add any salt because I felt like there was enough in the bacon
to flavor the veggies. 
I let it all cook for about another 15 minutes.  Maybe 30 - 40 minutes at the most?   This dish works best if you take your time while you're cooking your main dish.  
You could add your meat right to this and make it a one dish meal! =)
It was so good!

So - what have you been eating these days?   Leave me a comment and tell me!!

1 comment:

  1. I love taco salad, the best part is that there are zero calories in salsa :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts, or even just to know you stopped by, would be so encouraging. Would you kindly leave a little note so that I know you were here?
Thank you my friend! xo