Thursday, September 12, 2013

Doctor, Doctor! Give me the news!

Photo Source
It's been about 6 years since I've seen a doctor just for a check up.
We have not had our own health insurance for all that time - 
that means that we only went to the doctor if we were nigh unto death.

Practically.

Anyway, so my husband and I both went it today.  
It was a relief and it was nerve wracking all at the same time.

The first thing I learned - and already knew - was that my blood pressure
was really high. Okay. Working on that.

So the doctor asked me if I might be under any stress.
Um, insert meltdown.
I tried. I really tried to hold it together.
Wasn't planning on releasing the flood gates like that - 
but there it was.
I kept apologizing to him for crying. 
Oh, you know. Don't want to make the doctor feel uncomfortable. O.o 
THAT'S a whole other issue.

Okay. So after we established that I might want to see a therapist,  >.<
we talked about my weight.  
I told him what I was currently doing as far as eating and exercise
and he agreed that it was a good start.

I don't know what I was 18 days ago, but I know that I am 
at least 14 pounds less than I was at the end of August.  
I am not weighing myself at home because I don't want to obsess.
My next appointment with my assigned doctor is in two weeks.

I am also going in this weekend to get blood work done.

For the first time in FOREVER, I feel like I may be on the road to 
R E C O V E R Y and H E A L I N G.
I feel like I can get control of my health somewhat and know what 
I am dealing with...

My first weight loss goal (not counting the 14 I've already lost) is:
to lose 30 lbs.  
I just want to get to that first.  Then I will continue from there.
I will do this by: continuing with my Paleo way of eating.
I want to:
workout consistently at least 4 days a week for at least 
40 minutes.
I already pray on the daily, but I want to take it a step further and really:
incorporate some healthy meditation time into my daily routine.
I have been doing this, but I want to continue to try to:
be in bed before 10 p.m. - or 11 p.m. at the latest if it can't be helped.
The doctor would like for me to start taking some vitamins and 
he also recommended that I take vitamin D.  I would like to: 
get this through my diet directly from the source,
but will probably get something once I research what I really need.
Lastly, for now, I'd like to: continue reading and researching the 
works of Brene Brown. I am reading and learning about vulnerability, 
perfectionism, forgiveness, self-awareness, and more.  I have already 
been able to connect with so much of what she's written...even if it's difficult to admit.

So I think that's it for now. That's ALL. haha!  How about you?
Do you have any goals? Would you share one or two with me in the comments?

Thank you friend.  Thank you for walking with me as I ramble on about all of this. <3

p.s.  The doctor also said that I may want to consider cutting coffee out of my diet altogether.
What the HECKING is he talking about?? Like, can I see your license please?? *sigh*

3 comments:

  1. you are so good at making me laugh and cry at the same time. Oh sis. I know you are my older sister, filled with so much more wisdom and love and knowledge and grammar stuff. But I read your posts and I think of you heart and I want to cradle you in my arms and just love you to pieces. I don't know what else to say except that I wish you could see yourself the way I see you.
    My goal : well I suck at setting goals, but I would like to be less of a yeller. I find that I raise my voice too much with the kids. I tell Abby to control her emotions, but I can't even control mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such an inspiration. Here I am with a hubby who's been doing Paleo for a while and he's really healthy and off his bp meds and cholesterol meds; yet I am still afraid to jump in full wagon. Just like you said, I love rice, bread, and anything I can whip up easy because I hardly have time for myself. Please pray for me. Thank you for sharing your journey. I want to be brave like you. RY

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all can do it! Rose, the only way my husband can stay on Paleo is if I cook it for him. Does your husband do the cooking? That would be a huge help!. Start with just sugar and processed flour if you have to and go from there!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts, or even just to know you stopped by, would be so encouraging. Would you kindly leave a little note so that I know you were here?
Thank you my friend! xo