Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Whole 30 | NSV | Day 9

Of course I have some awesome food shots to share with you, but I also wanted to share some NSVs with you. NSV=Non Scale Victory


You are not to weigh or measure yourself during your Whole 30 challenge.  This helps you to get over the mindset that you're doing this just for weight-loss. Have you ever been dieting or working out a lot and your scale tips up instead of down one morning or two? 
For some people, that may motivate them to push harder, but for me, it would discourage me and make me feel like I was suffering for nothing and I'd give up. 

So, let's focus on the NSV: 

  • bloated feeling completely gone
  • full after each meal - hardly any cravings for non-compliant foods
  • almost no headaches (used to get a few a week) now I've had one in 9 days and it was very mild. 
  • my face was really drying out and now it feels so much better and looks better too! More clear!
  • sleeping better-waking up feeling rested
  • energy throughout the day
These things totally mean more to me than numbers on a scale.

Almond Crusted Herbed Salmon with a Super Green Roasted Veggie Mix 
Salmon:
1+ lb. Wild Caught Salmon Filets (I used 4 filets)
1/2 cup crushed almonds (I used dry roasted almonds and popped them in the food processor)
1+ Tbs. Italian Seasoning
1 Tbs. Dry Dill
Sea Salt
Juice from 1/2 Lemon
Ghee (Clarified Butter is fine)

Heat oven to 400*
Prep:
I used a glass baking dish. Coated it first with a bit of melted ghee or EVOO. 
Directions:
Lay filets skin side down in dish and squeeze 1/2 lemon over all of them. Remove seeds 'cause you forgot to pick them out when you first cut the lemon.
Season each filet with the Italian, Dill and Sea Salt and then maybe more Italian.  *see what brand I use in the recipe below*
Coat each filet with the crushed almonds.  You could also use Almond Flour/Meal if you wanna. 
Drizzle melted Ghee over each filet.
Bake in oven for about 15 minutes
If crust does not look golden, you could pop it under the broiler for about 5 minutes which is what I did.  You want that nice crust without over-cooking the fish.
ENJOY!!

Super Greens:
3 cups chopped Kale (try to avoid having any tough stems in the mix)
4 small zucchini
2 cups fresh Brussels sprouts
Crushed Red Pepper
1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Garlic
Course Sea Salt
EVOO
Ghee
*water or chicken broth

Prep:
Chop all vegetables into bite-sized pieces.  Be sure to remove some of the thick stems from your kale. I had a few that snuck in.  They're just annoying and difficult to chew - so ditch them.
I cut my brussels sprouts in half and if they are large, I even quarter them.  This helps them to cook up a little faster and you also get some loose leaves that get a nice roast on them, which I really like.

Directions:
Place all chopped veggies, except Kale, in a bowl and drizzle with Olive Oil.  Add your seasonings.  I love the McCormick Grinders and use the Italian and Crushed Red Pepper ones all the time!
Then I use my hands to toss them all together, making sure every piece is evenly coated in goodness.
Once you get these in the pan, you will do the same with the kale - it just goes in later.
**This cooks up pretty quick, so it's best if you put  the more dense vegetables in first.
Heat pan or skillet (I use a huge cast-iron skillet that I LOVE) and keep at a medium heat.
Throw the brussels sprouts and zucchini in there and let it cook. Do not cover at all.  You don't want them getting mushy, but if you feel like you need to hurry the process - splash some water or chicken broth in there and it will give them a real good steam treatment.
Cook and maybe move them every 7 minutes or so.  I like the number 7. When they look like they can be pierced with a fork - or maybe just try that - then you can add the kale.  
Just pile it all on there.  Let the pan over-flow if you want 'cause it will all cook down.  
Just keep tossing it all around in there until it's the consistency you want.  Add a bit of Ghee for flavor if you want. I put it on errthang.

Gobble it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts, or even just to know you stopped by, would be so encouraging. Would you kindly leave a little note so that I know you were here?
Thank you my friend! xo