Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Zoodles and Whatnot...


So up until now, whenever I have a hankering for some pasta or Italian flavored goodness, I have turned to the faithful spaghetti squash or the classic zucchini boat. Although it was good, I knew in the back of my mind that I wanted more.  I wanted something more "noodle-ish".  
Well, my wish has been granted. I was given a gift card to Sur La Table at CHRISTMAS. I had been saving it for something special.  The day arrived and I was not disappointed.  As I walked into that little bit of heaven (seriously - it's like a foodie's or chef's playground), I spied the item that I had been holding out for: A Spiralizer and IT WAS ON SALE!!  Oh yes. Come to mama!
[Photo Source]
It's got three different blades and worked like a charm!
This is about three large zucchinis, I did a total of 7 zukes for the whole family.
Patted them dry then tossed/sauteed them in my cast iron skillet with some olive oil and sea salt/cracked pepper. Let the zoodles sit for a couple minutes after it's done in a colander so that the natural liquid will drain from it.
For the sauce, I used the Trader Joe's brand of marinara.  It's in a green can.  There is no sugar added and only contains: Tomatoes, Tomato puree, garlic, onion, herbs and salt.  I added some quality ground beef, roasted mini heirloom tomatoes and Italian Herbs.  The kids got a bit of shredded cheese sprinkled on top.
Everybody from my four kids to my hubby loved it.  It was very filling and satisfying for all!
I am going to try sweet potatoes with my spiralizer next!
Do you have any ideas for me and my spiralizer?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts, or even just to know you stopped by, would be so encouraging. Would you kindly leave a little note so that I know you were here?
Thank you my friend! xo